The city that never sleeps. The big apple. The mecca of jazz: New York. There is no place on earth that speaks jazz like New York. Ok, New Orleans may spring to mind, but that’s predominantly jazz of the Dixieland kind.
New York is the birthplace of most of the American Songbook tunes that were adopted and altered by jazz musicians to become jazz standards. That’s because Tin Pan Alley was the place to be for composers and lyricists around the year 1900. This is roughly the area between Fifth and Sixth Avenue in modern day Manhattan.
Want to visit the clubs where Charlie Parker and Miles Davis made jazz history? Most of them are still there. Want to feel like Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan or Mel Tormé, performing live in a New York jazz club? You can, with this trip to New York! One week of workshops and masterclasses preparing you for the ultimate goal: performing live in New York! You will have plenty of time for sightseeing and shopping as well. This is the ultimate trip for jazz singers: inspirational, memorable and groundbreaking.
September 27 – October 3 (4), 2017
Pay with iDeal, PayPal or credit cards
Intake lesson in Amsterdam, or via Skype / Facetime
Six nights stay with breakfast in the city center in a 2 – person room with separate beds.
9 hours of workshops and masterclasses
Visits to jam sessions / Open Mic Nights under Ilse’s guidance, or participation in concerts as a guest of Ilse’s.
Travel expenses (tickets). This way you have the option to stay longer, or travel ahead. And perhaps you want to use your Airmiles?
Lunch and dinners. This way you can eat according to your preference and budget. However, we often end up eating together.
Entrance fees for clubs (round 10 – 15 dollar in New York).
A room of your own. If you want one, let Ilse know and she’ll see what see can do for you. This will cost extra though.
As soon as the trip is final, Ilse will provide data about the best flights and times. You book your own ticket allowing you to add days to the trip. Most of the time we travel together. The earlier you book a ticket, the cheaper they are!
We stay at a hotel or apartment in the city center. Lessons take place in a studio or at the apartment.
Mornings are for lessons, afternoons for leisure and nights for performances or shows. If it’s still too scary for you to perform, you can always choose not to.
1. Your registration is definitive when you paid through the link on this site, or by bank transfer within 7 days of your booking.
2. You travel at your risk. Jazz Singers Academy / Ilse Huizinga does not accept liability for personal injury, damage or loss of your possessions.
3. In case of cancellation, for whatever reason, there will be no reimbursement. We advise you kindly to book the right travel insurances.
4. Ilse intends to have you all sing at Open Mic Events and/or concerts. However, there can be no guarantees, due to unforeseen circumstances in relevant clubs. Ilse will do her utmost to find alternatives.
5. If the number of attendees is not sufficient, the trip will be canceled, and the full amount will be refunded.